Wednesday, April 21, 2010

White Rice: a Cuban staple

I think it's safe to say that every 9 out of 10 families of Cuban descent (living in the U.S. that is) have some kind of white rice in their pantry.  It's just the way it is.   I grew up on long-grain enriched rice served with just about anything.  Even when another carb side dish was prepared such as potatoes or corn, we would still have white rice. 

How do we cook the rice?  With an "Hitachi" of course.  "Hitachi" is short for Hitachi Rice Cooker and no matter what brand you own we still call it the "Hitachi".  It's pretty simple to make even though my dad says I can't make rice.  I don't take it personal, if it doesn't taste like my mother's cooking he always says that something is missing.

White Rice Cuban Style
(serves 5-6)
3 cups long-grain enriched white rice
3 1/2 cups water
2 t of salt
1 t of vegetable or olive oil

Rinse rice under cold water until water runs rather clear.  Place the rice in the rice cooker with with the rest of the ingredients, stir, cover, and turn on cooker.

Once it is ready fluff up the rice with a fork before serving.  This is served traditionally with black beans, or some other legume.  However, I could eat it just like this with a banana cut up into thin slices.  This is my favorite comfort food!!


0 comments: